Saturday, July 30, 2016

Don't be boring! (or, My Inner D.V.)

If you haven't seen it (and frankly, if you're spending valuable internet time reading an amateur sewing blog, you probably have), I recommend watching the documentary "The Eye Has to Travel: Diana Vreeland". 

I can't guarantee it will be a life-changing experience, but if you're at all interested in fashion, it will be entertaining.  Let's face it, she was one of the The Most Influential people in the fashion industry for ages, not to mention a gifted storyteller.  She was an eccentric, innovative, glamorous, and interesting woman, which IMO, is a sorely needed spice in the fashion stew of today.  (I also recommend reading "D.V. " by Diana Vreeland, if you are so inclined.)

Regardless, having watched the documentary a few (at least five) times over the past couple years, I do sometimes find her voice sniggling through my brain when looking for clothes or sewing patterns instructing "Don't be boring!"

I'll admit I've been habitually a small capsule wardrobe kind of gal, mainly due to cost factors and eensy closet space (love old buildings, hate the closet space).  As such, I do tend to gravitate towards relatively basic colors and shapes that, while interchangeable, just don't possess the flair that elevates it from "acceptable thing to put on my body" to "I must have this in my closet NOW".

I'm working on that.

Basic pieces will always have a place in my wardrobe (let's not get into my obsession with the boatneck tee), but I have a definitive need to add pieces that capture the eye and interest on the "hustling down the street to work, 'oh hey that looks fab'" kind of way.

As such, in addition to (plenty) of other patterns, I've added these to my pattern collection:

Vogue 1493, by Koos van den Akker:


 Easily my favorite out of the bunch. Appliques aside, the sleeves and lines can be altered all kinds of ways that are more interesting than the standard cardigan or blazer.

Vogue 1498 by Nicola Finetti


 I love this play on the halter dress.  Being a gal with the shoulders to propel her into hourglass territory (even if my bust doesn't qualify, based on some designers' standards), a halter has been a shape I've found to be rather flattering on my shape. 

And then there is Vogue 1411, the Custom Fit line by Sandra Betzina:



 The envelope may not look like much, but the line drawings were what caught my attention (hoping it's kosher to post this).


The lines here really caught my interest.  There are a lot of things that can be done with this pattern, whether you go with one fabric throughout, use piping or trim on the seams, or use different textures and sheens (my brain envisions a stretch knit with stretch leather inserts).

So those are some of my inspirations. What are your inspirations to add spice to your wardrobe?






No comments:

Post a Comment